Get support from A&P

Declaration of hospitality Italy

The declaration of hospitality is required to host non-EU citizens and stateless people in Italy.

Table of Contents

Based in Italy and active Worldwide

We are Relocation Experts

ISO 9001 Certified

The declaration of hospitality in Italy (Dichiarazione di Ospitalità in Italian) is required to anyone who hosts or provides housing to non-EU citizens or stateless people, or transfers real estate property to them. Also known as “Cessione di fabbricato”, the declaration of hospitality is a written notice that shall be provided to the local Public Security Authorities after the foreigner’s arrival.

How does the declaration of hospitality in Italy work?

The Legislative Decree No. 286 article 7 of July 25, 1998 states that anyone who, for any reason, gives lodging or houses in Italy to a non-EU citizen or stateless person, even if they are a relative or akin, must notify the hospitality to the Local Authorities after their arrival.

The declaration of hospitality in Italy applies also if foreigners are hired as employees, or if they are conceded use or ownership of a property, whether rural or urban.

In addition to the personal details of the hosting person, the declaration of hospitality shall include:

  • details of the hosted non-EU citizens or stateless people;
  • their passport or other valid identification document;
  • the exact location of the property sold or in which the foreigner is being hosted.

Declaration of Hospitality Italy: Why is it important to send it?

The declaration of hospitality is a document that certifies that non-EU or stateless people have a legitimate accommodation in the Italian territory and it is usually required for the issuance, renewal or conversion of the residence permit.

It is advisable that both the declarant and the non-EU hosted citizen keep a copy specially endorsed by the Public Security Bureau.

Violations of the provisions set forth in this article shall be subject to the administrative sanction of the payment of a sum from €160 to €1.100.

For Example:

A – “I am a German citizen moving to Italy with my Brazilian husband and his Brazilian family will be visiting from time to time. I have signed a leasing contract for an apartment: shall I provide the declaration of hospitality for him after moving into our rented apartment? Shall I provide the declaration for his relatives, when they will visit?”

B – Yes, you should provide, or delegate third parts to provide, the declaration for him within 48 hours from the house delivery, and for each relative every time they will come visit.

Who shall send the declaration?

Private hosts can provide the declaration directly or though third parties. Third parties can issue it on behalf of the host through proxies.

If you are struggling with the declaration of hospitality, Studio A&P can support you to:

  • contact the local authorities;
  • fill in and deliver the form and needed documents.

Where do I need to send the declaration?

Hosts shall send the declaration of hospitality to the local Public Security Authority of the province where the property is located, either the Police Headquarters of the provincial capital (Questura) or the Police Station.

When do I need to send the declaration?

Private hosts must send the declaration within 48 hours from the moment the non-EU or stateless people take possession of the unit, regardless of the agreement or contract starting date. Therefore, if the hospitality agreement is renewed, a second declaration is not required. On the other hand, tourist-like facilities shall make the communication within 24 hours from the host’s arrival.

Declaration of Hospitality for Accomodation Facilities in Italy

The requirement also applies to accommodation facilities (like B&B, room rentals also non-professional, vacation homes, etc.): the managers are required to complete the declaration of hospitality within 24 hours from the hosts’ arrival.

The communication of the so-called “Schedine alloggiati” is required even if the hosts are staying for less than 24 hours. Starting from 2006, this communication shall be made exclusively through the online portal Alloggiati Web.

Accommodation facilities managers may require the log in credentials to the local Questura. This online application aims at simplifying the procedure for tourist operators, who don’t need to contact the authorities directly.

Documents for the Declaration of Hospitality Italy

To complete the procedure, private hosts shall provide to the authorities the following documents:

  • Declaration form: The standard form to submit the declaration of hospitality is accessible online here (in Italian)
  • Copy of an identity document of the declarant;
  • Copy of an identity document of the travelers, such as copy of their valid residence permit or copy of their passport. Foreigners coming to Italy for tourism must provide copy of the pages of the passport with their personal data and either the entry visa, or the border stamp, if the traveler is visa-waiver;
  • Copy of the housing title, including:
    • Documentation that confirms the ownership or the deed of possession of the property;
    • Lease contract or loan for use duly registered with the Revenue Agency (Agenzia delle entrate) etc.

Regulatory Framework

Legislative decree of 25th July  1998, n. 286

Reference (Italian only)

Law of 18th May 1978, n. 191

Reference (Italian only)

Get a Free Quote

Don't miss out on the latest updates

Get free updates from our Experts on Immigration, Posting Workers, International Taxation and more.