Under certain conditions, foreign citizens holding an Italian study permit may convert it into a work permit after completing their course.
1. The Italian work permit: application requirements
Former study permit holders may apply for a work permit by providing documents concerning either:
- a subordinate work contract, or
- an independent work activity and the financial means to support it.
In case the applicants lack one of those documents, they may apply for a temporary permit and enlist to the job seekers’ list for no more than 12 months after completing a bachelor’s or master’s degree, a PhD, or an Italian 1st or 2nd level Master course.
2. Terms of application
The former students must apply for the work permit before the expiry date of the study permit and within the limits of the annual shares. An exception to the latter is made for:
- students legally resident and who came of age in Italy;
- student who obtained an Italian bachelor’s or master’s degree after completing the courses in Italy.