Get support from A&P

A new work-vacation Visa between Italy and Japan

Italy and Japan to issue a special Visa to promote stronger cooperation and ease entrance measures.

Table of Contents

Based in Italy and active Worldwide

We are Relocation Experts

ISO 9001 Certified

The Japanese and Italian Governments agreed on a new “work-vacation Visa” to provide easier entrance solutions to their citizens. The goal is to foster cooperation between the two countries and provide more opportunities for their citizens – especially the younger ones – in light of the mutual appreciation of each Country’s general way of living and culture.

How will the Japanese Visa work for Italian Citizens?

The Government of Japan will allow Italian citizens who hold work-vacation visas to stay in Japan as participants in the work-vacation program for a period of 1 year from the date of entry, allowing them to engage in a professional activity without a work permit.

This is considered as ancillary activity to their vacation, in order to support their funds for travel expenses in accordance with the regulations in force in Japan.

How will the Italian Visa work for Japanese Citizens?

The Italian Government will also allow Japanese citizens holding a work-vacation visa to stay in Italy as participants in the work-vacation program for a period of 1 year from the date of entry.

Japanese Citizens will be allowed to carry out professional activities for a period not exceeding six (6) months withouth a work permit, even with a different employer.

Similarly to what the Japanese Government agreed, said working activity is to be considered as ancillary activity to their vacation, in order to support their funds for travel expenses, in accordance with the regulations in force in Italy.

Is there a limit to the number of Visa that will be issued?

Yes. Italy and Japan will determine annually the maximum number of work-vacation visas that will be issued to each Country’s citizens.

Who can apply for the special work-vacation Visa?

To be eligible for the work-vacation Visa, both Japanese and Italian citizens must meet the following requirements:

  1. Enter the host country primarily with the purpose of spending vacations;
  2. Aged between 18 and 30 years of age whe applying for the visa;
  3. Not accompanied by dependents, with the exception of those in possession of a working vacation visa or other visa issued by that country;
  4. Hold a valid passport for at least 3 months more than the intended period of their stay and a title of return journey or sufficient funds to purchase it;
  5. Sufficient means of subsistence to maintain themselves in the host country, in accordance with the national regulations in force;
  6. They intend to leave the host country at the end of their stay without altering their status of residence during the stay;
  7. Have not previously obtained a visa for working vacation from that country;
  8. Compliance with all the health requirements imposed by the country;
  9. Hold sufficient medical insurance;
  10. They do not have a criminal record;

Further and obvious requirement is the intention to comply with the laws and regulations in force in the host country during their stay.

Where to apply for the Visa

The special work-vacation Visa can be obtained by applying for a working vacation visa at the embassy or consulate of the host country located in the country of origin.

Applicants might undergo an interview with representatives of the Embassy or Consulate to determine their eligibility.

Get a Free Quote

Regulatory Framework

Agreement between the Government of Japan and the Government of the Italian Republic on a working holiday scheme


Don't miss out on the latest updates

Get free updates from our Experts on Immigration, Posting Workers, International Taxation and more.