An introduction on the cases of birth and adoption to apply for the Italian citizenship by birth.
Also known as Ius Sanguinis, the Italian citizenship by birth can be acquired by foreigners if they fall within specific cases of birth or adoption. Below you will find a brief introduction on the possible cases when you can apply for this specific type of Italian citizenship, as well as documents for the application and time needed.
If you are looking for a broader introduction, have a look at our guide on the Italian Citizenship and learn more about other types you might be eligible for.
Table of contents
- Cases to apply for the Italian citizenship by birth
- Documents and time to apply
- How to apply for the Citizenship by birth
- Book a call
- Get a quote
1. Cases to apply for the Italian Citizenship by birth
The following are the cases of Italian Citizen by birth:
- A child with a father or mother who is an Italian citizen;
- Those born in the territory of the Italian Republic if both parents are unknown or stateless, or if the child does not follow the citizenship of the parents according to the law of the state to which these belong;
- Foreign minor adopted by an Italian citizen. If the adoption is revoked due to the adoptee, the latter loses the Italian citizenship, provided the minor is in possession of another citizenship or reacquires it. In other cases of revocation, the adopted keeps the Italian citizenship;
- The child of unknown persons found is considered a citizen by birth in the territory of the Republic, unless the possession of other citizenship.
2. Documents needed and timing to apply
To apply for the Italian citizenship by birth, the documents generally requested are:
- Valid passport;
- Residence permit;
- Self-declaration for Italian citizenship for being born on the Italian territory.
Authorities usually approve and issue the Italian citizenship by birth in 120 days from the application.
3. How to apply for the Italian Citizenship by birth
If you are looking to apply for the Italian citizenship by descent, you shall do so at the civil registrar of the Italian municipality (comune) where you intend to reside or establish the Italian residence. In case of residence abroad, the application must take place at the relevant Italian diplomatic or consular authority.