Find out more about the legalization of documents that are issued in a foreign country and have to be valid in Italy or abroad.
The legalization of documents is the process through which it is certified the legal quality of the Official Functionary that has signed copies, acts, extracts or more, as well as the Functionary’s signature authenticity.
1. Legalization of documents: which type?
The documents that need legalization are:
- Acts and documents issued by local authorities so that they are legally valid abroad (i.e. Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Driving licences, Criminal Records Certificates, etc.).
2. When documents need legalization
The legalization can be requested by:
- Citizens who have to validate a document issued by local authorities to be used abroad.
3. Legalization of documents: the types
Depending on the origin country, the document will need a dedicated type of legalization.
- Apostille (learn more)
- Other Legalization due to special agreement between the origin country and the destination country
Our team can support you in the legalization process of foreign documents
4. Jurisdiction bodies
The competent local jurisdiction body is responsible for taking care of the legalization of documents in foreign countries.
Depending on the country that has issued a specific document, the competent authority may change. For further information and to check the dedicated jurisdiction body in each country please refer to the Hague Conference Official website.
- Consular: after the legalizaton at the competent local jurisdiction body, documents have to be submitted to the Embassy/Consulate of the foreign country to receive the final legalization
- Apostille: it is released by the competent jurisdiction body of the original country
- Other Legalization of documents: due to special agreement between the origin country and the destination country: it is necessary to verify what the agreement requires for a document to be valid in the destination country (i.e. multilingual certificate)
5. Translation of official documents
In addition to the legalization of documents issued by foreign authorities, it is possible to authenticate official translations of documents from one foreign language to another foreign language. These translations, which can be made by our multilingual collaborators, can acquire legal value in Italy or abroad when submitted to a special legalization process to be carried out at the local jurisdiction body.